Home / Why a Teen Training Bra is Worth $40: Yellowberry and the Cost of Change
Bare Necessities
Yellowberry_4

Everyone is talking about Megan Grassell, the teenage entrepreneur behind the youth bra label Yellowberry.

Our feature profile of the Wyoming high school senior went viral across North America last week, generating more than 200,000 Facebook “likes” and hundreds of comments from our readers. It’s become the most widely read article in Lingerie Talk‘s four-year history.

And Yellowberry didn’t do too bad, either: its debut collection of colorful-but-age-appropriate training bras sold out within days. (Don’t worry — more are on the way.)

Related: Meet the Teen Titan Who is Taking On The Youth Bra Industry

Yellowberry_main
Yellowberry orders being prepared for shipping last week.

Megan’s simple idea to design modest bras for tweens really touched a nerve — and proved surprisingly controversial.

Many Lingerie Talk readers wrote at length about their own struggles in bra shopping for teens; dads wrote about their parental anxieties as they watch their children enter a highly sexualized world; and everyone had something to say about young girls, body image issues and ‘bra culture’.

And while readers have been overwhelmingly supportive of Megan’s initiative, many also complained that Yellowberry‘s prices are unreasonably high, and that similar products can be found in discount department stores.

We asked Megan (below) to respond to these issues as she launches the most talked-about new brand of the year. Here’s what she had to say:

Megan1

By Megan Grassell,
Founder, Yellowberry

Hi Berries!

Lingerie Talk asked me to reply to the many people who have raised concerns about the affordability of Yellowberry bras.

What I have learned so far from starting my own business is that there are three main reasons why my Yellowberry bras are more expensive than the competitors': The company is very small, the bras are new to the market, and all products are made with quality in the USA.

In my mind, though, Yellowberry represents something more, something that is difficult to put a price tag on.

I want to start a movement in which, whenever a girl wears a Yellowberry bra, she is standing up against the early sexualization of young girls. With that movement comes empowerment, change and confidence.

Empowerment they can feel within themselves because they realize they have a voice for change. That change is the way they see their bodies: positively, and with pride. With each bra I sell, I want to inspire the girl who wears it to have confidence in who she is.

Yellowberry_logo

Yellowberry bras are more than just bras.

Yellowberry bras are comfortable, not conforming.

Yellowberry bras are designed for a young girl’s developing body, not forcing her to appear “2 cup sizes larger.”

Yellowberry bras celebrate youth, not the rush to grow up so fast.

Having said all of that, as Yellowberry grows and has the ability to do so, we will absolutely look for ways to lower our prices while still making a quality product.

Thank you, and I hope you’ll join with me where I stand.

[Ed. Note: Megan is scheduled to appear on Good Morning America sometime soon. We'll let you know when the date is confirmed.]

Yellowberry_2
Posted in Yellowberry

20 Responses to “Why a Teen Training Bra is Worth $40: Yellowberry and the Cost of Change”

1. Amy Hoag says:

I think the idea behind Yellowberry is one that is great but at this time the idea of spending $40 on my pre-teen’s bra is not feasible. I would love to support the product and it’s message but I don’t spend that much money on my own bras. Good luck in your endeavors I am sure there are people who have the money to buy your bras for their daughters.

• Cindy says:

I agree with Amy. Could not have said it better in fact. I don’t even spend that much on my own bras, and with three young daughters fast approaching their Tweens, I can’t afford to buy several expensive bras for each child. I love the message and love that the product is manufactured in the USA. I wish I could support the company through my purchase power, however they must come down in price. *And my girls do not have the latest and greatest electronics, toys, and fashions. No iPhone 5’s or Ugg boots. The response to the criticism of the cost of these Yellowberry bras did not sell me either. I was hoping for a better justification but it seems to boil down to the “idea” and that is just marketing. Still does not explain why the bra is $40.

2. Candice says:

The poor deserve good bras too
    Hope you lower your prices sooner than later
    I like your message but you are only catering to the rich right now

3. Cristine says:

It’s not about deserving a good bra at a low cost. No one “deserves” anything at a low cost. If you can’t afford it then shop elsewhere. If it’s something that you really want, or feel is really important, then save for it. The cost is about running a sustainable business. Not only does it cost money to produce a quality product, Megan’s time is worth money. Entrepreneurship is expensive. You aren’t just paying for the fabric.

• Julie says:

“Entrepreneurship is expensive.”

Bingo. That’s exactly it. I do believe as this company grows, the prices will come down some. However, starting something like this is tough, it’s small, it hasn’t hit that tipping point yet, and as you said *Megan’s time is worth money.*

I’m an artist. People often tell me what I make is too expensive, and that I’m catering to the rich. Yet I am not rich, and trying to pay bills. Big Box stores and overseas production have masked the true costs of what something like this costs.

I’m proud of this young woman, her philosophy, her mature ideas and response. Good on her.

4. B says:

Candice, she clearly lays out why the bras are more expensive. If you want cheap, it’s going to be cheap material and they’ll be made in China. “Catering to the rich” is a ridiculous charge.

• Daniele says:

I agree with the idea of not promoting sexualization for teens. However, two things: 1) My daughter’s sensitive new buds feel more comfortable in a little padding. I remember my unprotective “grow-bras”. They didn’t make me feel at all safe. Then again, I didn’t like the padded bra offering at all the stores. Ultimately, a versatile offering for the people.

5. Joan says:

If the owner loves it and wants to wear it all the time, you only need enough to cover off laundry days. Isn’t it better to have a few well-loved products than a drawer full of things she won’t wear because they don’t fit/are uncomfortable/look weird etc etc.

6. Robin says:

“Catering to the rich?” “deserves a good bra?” Come on. That’s absurd. These are bras made in the US (Finally!) by a very small company. Half an ounce of common sense explains why they cost so much right now, and an equal amount of common sense assures that will not be the price forever. I can’t afford to buy a sufficient amount of bras for my daughter exclusively from here, but I sure will save for a couple weeks to buy her one, just on principle. I love what this young lady stands for and I support her initiative to take on something she believes in. It’s about the bra for me, but more importantly, it’s about supporting young women and forward-thinking, ambitious young people. We should WANT more kids in the world who find a cause and work to further it, rather than sitting around on their butts waiting for handouts. I can’t afford them, but I’ll get one to show this young lady I support her.

7. Heather says:

I love the idea behind this company and I congratulate Megan on it’s success. I have had my mouth drop open in stores looking at the selection of training bras in front of me for my girls. I am still trying to figure out why a 10 year old needs bra padding (according to the makers of bras).

I will be keeping an eye on these and as soon as the prices come down a bit, I will be buying them for my girls. Until then, they are wearing sports bras.

8. Pina says:

I agree with most posts here, the bras are well over priced for the targeted age group. Love the message, dislike the price, so I wouldn’t purchase them. Can’t own just one bra, 2 or 3 would be over the top in price. Sales pitch makes sense, society today is pushing girls into adulthood way too soon, but prices like these would make moms “settle” for a cheaper bra, with comfort and maybe less padding!

9. Cindy says:

I have a feeling some other companies will jump on the Yellowberry bandwagon and introduce something similar, but with a smaller price tag. It is only a matter of time. But kudos to Megan for being the leader that started the trend and opened up their eyes.

10. Laura says:

Kudos to this teen for seeing a need and going for it! Making a high quality product in the USA as a small start-up isn’t easy or cheap. I’m a mom to three young girls, and although I wish they were less expensive – I will buy these. As the company grows I know the price will come down, but we all have to send a message (with our $$$) that this is what we want for our daughters…

11. Mom says:

I agree with most of the comments here as well, I was so excited to hear about Yellowberry until I saw their prices, after that I was discouraged. I want to buy these for my daughters but with the cost of living and the cost of every little thing we have to buy our children it is just not feasible to spent $160 on 4 bras, every other price of clothing costs less then that let alone a bra, I spend anywhere from $10-$20 on my bras and that’s what i will spend on my kids bras. I love the message and can’t wait to help support it but will have to wait for more reasonable prices so I hope that is sooner then later because every girl deserves to feel age appropriate and I want to give my daughters exactly that so for now they where training bras

12. Mom says:

My daughters and I have also decided to make our own bras and in reality it only costs about $5 to make one in the US

13. mabinogi says:

“Mom” – ok, so how many of those bras can you make in a week?

Now take a living weekly wage, and divide that by the number you can make in a week, then add that to your $5, and _that’s_ how much the bra actually costs.

Also, don’t forget to factor in replacement costs of your equipment – you’re making bras 40 hours a week now, your sewing machine is going to need services pretty regularly, and outright replacement every couple of years.

Material costs are the smallest part of the cost of most products – particularly hand made ones.

14. Nic says:

More than willing to pay the price as I am for any product that is made with quality and in the USA, wish there were more available – I will be ordering for my pre-teen daughters right away!
    I will not just be slipping them into the laundry basket either – I will explain Megan’s story and tell them that change can only happen when someone is willing to take a risk.
    Wish I had known about her when her kickstarter campagin was going on.
    Bravo

15. Nancy says:

Love this idea and so happy that Miss Megan has taken the initiative to create these bras. I hope that she can expand this in to a full clothing line. I have seen some of the things they are offering to tweens as well as younger girls and it’s appalling. I don’t have a problem with the price if it’s a quality product. If I still had a young girl at home I would be taking my lunch every day and eating dinner out less to make sure that she got some of these. As of right now, I’ll just put money aside for when my granddaughter will reach the age when she needs one, to make sure that she gets them.

Well done Miss Megan, Well done!

16. Sal says:

Our local stores are full of Joe Boxer brand training bras and sports-style bras that cost about $10 apiece. I would love to support Yellowberry, but I can’t spend $120+ on a few training bras for my daughter. Unfortunately, the cost of the product will price out most of the young girls she is trying to reach.

17. Harriet says:

Sadly, it is only a matter of time before this very good idea will be hijacked, made in China and sold at Walmart for $8.00. Don’t know how or if she can patent her design because it can and will be copied. It is basically a soft bra in bright colors – not too hard to duplicate.
    I salute her but $40.00 is an awful lot of money for a training bra – especially when you need at least two to allow for laundering time.