LingerieTalk
Home / Yellowberry: Meet the Teen Titan Who Is Taking On The Youth Bra Industry
600x74 Bridal Guide
Yellowberry_9

It took only one trip to the mall to show Megan Grassell what was wrong with the bra industry. And 10 months of hard work to figure out how to change it.

Today, the 18-year-old high school senior from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is the founder of Yellowberry, an underwear company that’s making wholesome, age-appropriate bras for girls aged 11-15.

That’s the sort of thing Megan couldn’t find a year ago when she took her kid sister Mary Margaret, then 13, shopping for her first bra.

“It was an awkward moment for her, but a chance for me to show off my sisterly knowledge,” Megan wrote in the Kickstarter pitch that helped get Yellowberry off the ground.

“I couldn’t believe the bras that she was supposed to buy,” she added. “The choices for her, and for all girls her age, were simply appalling to me. They were all padded, push-up and sexual. Not only that, they did not fit her body properly, which automatically made me wonder ‘Where were the young, cute and realistic bras for girls?’ There were none!”

That ‘Eureka!’ moment was the spark that created Yellowberry — and may have ripple effects throughout the teen lingerie world, which has been the target of significant consumer activism in recent years.

“It was literally like an epiphany,” Megan told Lingerie Talk this week. “I was holding a bra in my hands and I just said, ‘This is not okay. I’m going to make bras for girls.'”

She turned to the crowdfunding site Kickstarter hoping to raise $25,000 to launch Yellowberry, and was stunned by the response. When the 30-day campaign ended on Sunday, it had raised almost $42,000 to finance Yellowberry’s first production order, making it one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever for an underwear or lingerie start-up.

Yellowberry_11

Yellowberry is as much a movement as it is a bra company, using its marketing and merchandising platform to fight back against the hyper-sexualized commercial environment that adolescent girls face every day. Fans are called “Berries” and the company’s motto — “Changing the bra industry for young girls” — boldly challenges the status quo.

Yellowberry will be different because at the core of the company what we want to do is sell a bra in a non-sexy way,” Megan said. “In lingerie, that’s a new idea.”

“For those girls aged 11 to 15 the options they have to buy are for the most part overly sexual. They need a different bra that doesn’t scream ‘sex’.

“You shouldn’t have to buy a sequined push-up bra when you’re 13. You shouldn’t have to feel pressured to look a certain way.”

Megan2
Megan (right) and Mary Margaret Grassell

Yellowberry is already on the market, with a professional website and online shop selling two youth bra styles in four colors, with cute names like ‘Tweetheart’ and ‘Tiny Teton’ for about $40. The cotton-spandex pieces are soft and metal-free, designed to provide a comfortable transition between children’s undershirts and the style-driven world of molded cups and T-shirt bras that lies ahead.

Yellowberry gives girls the idea that they don’t have to grow up so quickly,” Megan said.

“We’re not saying what’s right or wrong. It’s not my right to tell someone what’s appropriate or not,” she added. “I just want everyone to have another option.”

Yellowberry_6

Megan had no experience in business or fashion when she came up with the concept for Yellowberry, but that didn’t stop her.

She worked with a seamstress in Jackson Hole to develop prototypes, sourced a manufacturer in Los Angeles and spent months fit-testing samples with the help of local friends.

She had a gut feeling the concept would catch fire, but after the first four days of her Kickstarter campaign, Yellowberry had received only $2,000 in donations and little attention. Undaunted, Megan reached out to Facebook groups, companies and online groups that promoted causes aimed at empowering young women.

Then, however, schoolwork intervened and Megan headed to Guatemala for a week-long class trip, a journey that left her without internet access for a full day.

When the students arrived at their Guatemala City hotel, Megan plugged in her computer, checked her Kickstarter campaign … and started crying. Yellowberry had gone viral overnight, and was already past its $25,000 funding goal.

More than 1,000 donors contributed to the campaign, many of them young girls — and their parents — who are enthusiastically supportive of the new company and its mission.

Related: Why A Teen Training Bra Is Worth $40

Yellowberry_2

Part of Yellowberry‘s undeniable appeal is its authentic marketing (the company’s promotional photos use non-professional models) and the heartfelt values embodied in its mission statement.

Yellowberry espouses six ‘mantras’ that are printed on its hangtags, and which were written years ago following the tragic death at age 5 of Megan’s youngest sister Caroline, who fell from a moving float during a parade.

Those mantras, written by Caroline’s godparents as a tribute to the little girl’s bright spirit, encourage people to celebrate their youth in a loving and natural way… and not feel so rushed. ‘Water the flowers everyday’. ‘Watch quietly and observe’. ‘Find a hug when you need one’. ‘Go barefoot’. And finally, ‘Campfires are rare; eat as many marshmallows as you can’.

Megan has taken those truths and applied them to Yellowberry‘s business plan and its broader purpose of supporting young girls.

“Caroline is still powerful in my mind,” she writes in her biographical sketch on the Yellowberry website. “She taught me through both her life and her sudden death to slow down and enjoy each day as its own.

“These statements help reiterate the values behind my simple goal: build a bra that is unique, colorful and young made for all girls who love and enjoy their youthful, yellow stages in life.”

Yellowberry_10

While her classmates look for summer jobs, Megan will be running Yellowberry full-time (with her mother, Lynn) until next spring when she heads to college in Vermont. The company is already working on future designs and hopes to offer underwear choices with its next collection.

In the meantime, she has a message for all those mall brands targeting pubescent girls with sparkly, padded push-up bras.

“Girls come in a lot of shapes and sizes, but the bras I seen when I go shopping all look the same,” Megan said. “They’re creating a false sense of variety. Not everything has to look so similar.”

Yellowberry_8

www.yellowberrycompany.com

Posted in Lingerie News

341 Responses to “Yellowberry: Meet the Teen Titan Who Is Taking On The Youth Bra Industry”

1. Grace says:

According to the website there are currently 2 styles and the bras cost $38.95 or $42.95 each, that’s for one bra (there is no 2-for deal). They are cute. The lavender one would probably work under a white shirt. She is also bringing out some new styles in May.

It makes total sense to me that an older sister would take her younger sister bra shopping. I remember going with my mom and it was one of the most embarassing and horrifying experiences of middle school. I would have been more at ease to go with an older sister had I had one. I would have preferred going alone or with my best friend.

One of the biggest problems I see in our culture is we still teach little girls to be ashamed of their bodies, especially their breasts. Many of the comments here are exhibiting, if not reinforcing that shame. And, as women, we have a nasty habit of tearing each other down. What’s up with that? This gal has started a business and priced her product according to a sustainable business model that will keep her in business. She is not having them made in Mexico or China where she doesn’t have to pay a set minimum wage to her workers who are adults. As many have said before, if you can’t afford it, you don’t have to buy it. Please don’t use that excuse as a reason to tear down her efforts. Perhaps her earnings from this company will pay her way through college.

And, yes, there may be other options available in the marketplace. Feel free to choose what works for you and your daughter. I don’t know what shops you have access to, but in Jackson Hole, WY where Megan lives, she may not have access to all the same shops you do, which would naturally result in limited choices. So she saw a need, got an idea and put it into action.

Can we celebrate together that a young woman is taking initiative and trying to make a difference for herself, her family and other girls? Can we celebrate her drive and determination? Can we celebrate her creativity? Can we celebrate that we now live in a world where a teenage girl in America can do something that in other countries (and not that long ago in America) only a man can do? Remember Malala, the Pakistani girl who was shot for going to school?

• annetta says:

I’m a mother to my one and only daughter. When I was a teen, we had what was called a training bra. They were similar to yours. They were made of white stretchy material with a flower, or little bow in the front at the V. I wore that kind, until I was 15 and my oldest sister took me, but when I took my daughter, I commented that there were no training bras, so I let her pick out one that she was comfortable with. We tried everything they had available. My daughter ended up choosing a little sports bra that was the closest to looking like a training bra. She was tickled that I let her choose and didn’t make her let me see. She showed me on her own. We ended up buying 4 sets of 2, each having 1 different color and 1 white bra. As for the daughter who felt uncomfortable with her mom. Just remember, your mom was once a teenager. I was fortunate to have that connection with my daughter. Why is it that when we grow up we act like our mothers are aliens and wouldn’t understand what you are going through. Maybe some mothers and daughters need to have a better relationship with one another. The reason my sister took me was, because our mother was a fertile Mertle and 9 kids. Lol!! Kudos to you for bringing back the updated version of the “Training Bra”.

• Jennie says:

Amen Grace! We need more awesome young women like her to make a positive change in this world. 9:00 am on hgtv, I just watched a car commercial with two people basically about to have sex in the rain, saying that the car provokes lust. So yes, we desperately need more people like this. I have three daughters, 19, 16 and 10. I’ve seen a total trend towards sexualizing young girls in the span of 9 years, adding sparkles and sequins to appeal to young girls. As a very liberal, non-prude mom, I am NOT okay with that. And I also find it very sad that women continue to tear other women down rather than provide support to one another. It’s a young start up company. Give her time to grow, give her encouragement to stay her course because what she is doing is great! Love reading stories about young, take charge men and women. Restores my faith in this Kardashian obsessed age group.

• dcgatormommatotwins says:

Amen, sista! This is not just a problem for the 11-15 year olds. I have 8 year old twins, and one of my girls is very developed for her age. She is 4’11 and has been wearing a bra (YES!) since the beginning of the school year. It was a nightmare trying to find something that wasn’t padded. My daughter plays co-ed tennis and I did not want her wearing a padded bra emphasizing her curvy figure. I finally had to tear the padding out of them so she didn’t look like she was 17! ugh. This is a great solution for us, as she thinks it looks like her tennis sports bras. Thank.You!

• Rochelle says:

Thank you, Grace – beautifully put!

• Lee says:

I totally agree with you. If you give to one liberal non-profit or subscribe to one liberal magazine you get dozens of direct mailings a month asking you to donate to worthwhile causes everywhere. You hit on an important point – if a manufacturer chooses to have her product produced locally instead of in China, she’s going to have to charge more than the competition, and at the same time everyone that chooses to pay more and buy her product is helping countless people, just as if they had contributed to a non-profit.

2. Amy says:

I remember getting my first ones, and I just got sports bras. I know some who are getting their kids the bandeau bras, which seem to work well, or a sports type. So far, they’re the best we’ve found.

3. Wendy says:

These “bras” are not unique at all. Not sure where this girl shops but these “bras” are called sports bras and they are all over, in every color imaginable. Nothing of what she is doing is new or creative, not to mention they are completely over priced! Sorry…not jumping on this band wagon!!!

• annetta says:

Let those who can afford it, buy them. They are updated verions of the training bra, if you are old enough to have worn them in the 70’s. Give the girl a chance. She saw a market for them where she lives. If they reach Wal-Mart, then they’ll be more affordable. Don’t know the sports bras. They keep us larger breast women from getting blackened eyes. Lol!!

• Elle says:

Yes, they are basically sports bras. It is more of an ad campaign than a new product. Companies do this all the time- there is nothing wrong with it. It IS creative and I commend her approach and attitude. Sex is everywhere we look in America. It is exploitative and manipulative to target young girls with sexual pressure.

• Elle says:

If they reach Walmart then what is the point?
      Isn’t the point of this to allow individuals to be free of oppression? In this case it is sexual oppression. But Walmart oppresses it’s employees. And if these bras make it to Walmart it is because the manufacture got outsourced to China where someone’s life is hell so that you can save a couple bucks on your bra.

• Rebecca says:

I see a lot of differences between these and sports bras. They have thin, adjustable straps. They’re shaped like traditional bras, rather than a racerback style. They’re in cuter colors. They probably lack some of the thickness and absorbency of sports bras. And they’re made by and for young women whose needs are different than those of adults.

Bravo Megan. This is good practice in ignoring people who try to tear you down because of something inside themselves. You saw a need and took the initiative to meet it.The world needs more of you.

• motherdragon says:

I agree with you Rebecca…. my daughters now 20 and 18 would not wear the slutty bras so they had to wear sports bras. Sports bras a thick and bulky and not at all comfortable to wear all day, every day. The pantie choices are even worse! Most of them have less than a one inch crotch in them, so you have the choices of granny panties, one inch crotch panties or thongs. I am cheering for Megan to not only make it, but make it BIG! They’ll be green with jealousy Megan. You go girl! 😉

• Mary says:

Hey Wendy, hate to break it to you but these are not sports bras. Sports bras are intended to keep the girls in place, and more often than not are made of a material to squish boobs down. That is not the point of these. The point of these is to provide support without being sexual- and I’m sorry, but there aren’t a lot of good sports bras that do that either (I’m looking at you Joe Boxer with your push up sports bras). Maybe you won’t be jumping on this band wagon, but hey, if you can’t say anything nice, or give criticism based in more than your limited opinion, don’t say anything at all.

• Mindy says:

We’ve had no problems finding training bras at Target and Justice. Nice ones that aren’t sexual in any way. Not sure where this girl was shopping with her sister….?!

• Leslie says:

I don’t think they are similar to sports bras. Looks almost like a double-lined leotard, but cut down to be like a bra.

I think the founder is a problem solver. She doesn’t just complain, she does something. Kudos to her!

• Rebecca says:

Those of us who are able to find training bras in local stores, great. But the fact that they’re available where you are doesn’t mean they’re available everywhere. Not every community has a Target. Not every Target stocks the same products. Instead of questioning where this young women shops, how about believing her when she says she couldn’t find what she needed, and applauding her for taking the initiative to help others like her? Bizarre how eager some people are to tear others down.

4. Ms Marie says:

I love the idea of this product since I have had a very difficult time finding age appropriate bras for my 12 year old. I was very excited when I heard about this product and quickly clicked the link to start shopping away but unfortunately the sizing does not work of my child because they are rather small and don’t have options for larger girls. Maybe you could explore having larger torso size and smaller cup size options. My daughter would be an A38 but we have never been able to find the appropriate size and she ends up having to wear sports bras all the time. I’m sure there are other young girls who would like to have something pretty and practical in their size too.

5. Rae says:

Many 11-15 yr olds have far surpassed a small C cup. For myself, I was in a DD and probably should have been in a smaller band/larger cup had the right size been around when I was 14/15.

Nope, this isn’t a bra at all, sorry. It’s a cute idea, but it’s not helpful for a young girl who needs support as well as comfort.

• Amanda says:

Wondering what magical potion you were drinking to be that big at such a young age. I’m 25 and barely an A cup. These bras are for girls who aren’t blessed/cursed (I use both terms depending on how you feel about the whole thing) by having larger breasts. If they don’t fit you, don’t buy them. Simple enough, eh?

• Sheri says:

Magical potion??? It’s called genetics. Some girls develop early and some late, some have very small breasts and some have very large breasts, and then there are a whole lot of girls in the middle.

As for “if they don’t fit you, don’t buy them,” that doesn’t really address the problem, does it? If anything, girls with larger breasts are even MORE in need of bras that won’t hypersexualize them before they are ready. I was a C/D when I was 13. I’ve seen girls (students of mine) as young as 11 with breasts that large. This product is a great idea…now maybe it’s time to expand sizes so that more girls’ needs can be met. Besides, doing that just leads to more sales, right?

• Heather says:

I was in a D cup in 8th grade (12 yrs old). I was a year ahead in school, in a real bra by 5th grade, they no longer made training bras in my size in the 1990’s. Genetics is right. I was mocked for wearing adult bras in school. Obviously times have changed but this girl is young, shes smart, and has the initiative to start something new for other girls. Can you say you have achieved half of that this young lady has done at your age?

• Rebecca says:

‘If they don’t fit you, don’t buy them” absolutely applies. The fact that this product isn’t for everyone doesn’t discount its value to those who need it. Maybe she will expand the line to include larger cup sizes, maybe she won’t. (Maybe she wants to go to college first. Pretty reasonable.) She solved a specific problem. The fact that it’s a different problem than you may have had doesn’t discount her work or the product. Instead of waiting for someone else to solve her problem, she took the initiative to solve it herself, and help others along the way. Good lesson.

• Christina says:

I agree my daughter is 15 and is a 36 DD. I had to take her to Victoria secrets to get a bra that fit. And the bra was not sexy just plain black t-shirt like material. But cost me out the a$$. I tried all the other stores first and example walmart the 36 DD was too small and the 40 DD was too big. Except for the price Victoia Secrets has a lot of non sexual bras..

6. Dianne E. says:

A bra named “Tiny Teton” for a young girl? Really?

7. Lisa says:

Way to go girls! It’s a great start to something really important. I am 41, but have the breasts of a budding teen. I PREFER to wear bras that are more like this, and you’re right. I can’t find a basic bra that doesn’t have pads, push ups and wires that make it really uncomfortable to wear a bra for even 8 hours a day.

I think there are some good ideas here (not exactly presented very well or kindly for that matter) so white, black, and beige may be something to come? For people with sizes larger… good luck with that endeavor because it is also a good idea and maybe something to think about in the future. I can’t imagine all start up companies have every imaginable possibility from the moment they ‘open’, so good luck building your business and figuring out ways to include the varieties and diverse sizes.

If not, you won’t be the first company to cater your product to specific individuals, but it doesn’t mean you won’t do well!

Keep working hard, and don’t let the negatives outweigh the positives.
    Billings, Montana

8. annetta says:

If a girl needs support, then these bras are not for that. She needs to go to a more supportive bra. One thing I like now about those support bras for those who need it. They don’t make you look like Beulah Ballbricker anymore. Lol!!

9. SuzKat says:

Heck! I am 39 and I would wear any one of these bras! Bravo.

10. Kate says:

Ripe berries is a little sexual but I love the enthusiasm! We should be celebrating a young girl putting her mind to something, and achieving it. Of course it’s not perfect, of course it’s not going to work for everyone right away. It was created by a high school girl. The rest will come with time and experience. It’s not like she invented the bra. She reminded society about the way to look at it.

• Teresa says:

Kate, the name of the company is not and does not reference ripe berries; the reference is to unripe (immature) berries:

“The Yellowberry name is a symbol of the need to nurture adolescent girls during a critical and challenging time in their development.

“Think about a berry before you pick it,” Megan said. “It’s still yellow. It’s not yet ripe. It has to go through certain stages until it is ripe. And you can’t rush those stages because they are what will eventually create a beautiful berry.””

And yes, Megan should be proud of herself!

• tessa says:

I thought the exact same thing! I got such a gross, icky feeling when she compared young girls to berries not quite ripe for the picking. Disgusting.

11. Erin says:

I love this idea, and the fact that a young woman came up with this fabulous bra makes it even better. The styles are adorable and very age appropriate. My daughter just started wearing bras and finding one that is appropriate was very difficult. The only issue I see is the price. I feel like if you want to reach more young girls and moms for that matter the price is a high. Many women buy bras for these prices. I don’t think cotton would cost so much. I do plan to buy one for my daughter however probably just one. I wish you all the luck with your new business and wonderful product.

• Caroline says:

I suspect the high cost is due to having them conscientiously manufactured in North America. The reason so many products are ridiculously cheap in stores like Walmart and Target is because they’re being fabricated in sweatshops in Mexico and Asia.

12. Martha Perrault says:

Too many girls are probably going to Victoria’s Secret for their first bra. Of course they are not going to find an age appropriate bra there. I didn’t have problems finding a trainee bra for my daughter years ago. It has to do with where you shop. The price for this new bra is very expensive. You can find appropriate ones online.

• Aurora says:

Yes.. because every adolescent knows their band size & cup size without a proper fitting. Even many ADULTS can’t buy a bra without trying a few on since not ever size is right for a certain body type.

You obviously don’t bra shop often.

• Christina says:

I had to start taking my 15 year old daughter to Victoria’s Secret she is a 36DD. And yes they do have non sexual bras. My daughters are unpadded t-shirt like material very soft with no lace, glitter, or anything.I tried other stores and could not find a size to fit her. Even the 40DD at walmart was tight on her. And I hate shopping online case of the sizing difference.

13. Rachel W. says:

I found this article through a friend that shared it on facebook. I was intrigued by it as my husband and I recently were discussing around what age we might end up taking our daughter to purchase her first bra (she’s currently 2 ½, so we have a little time). I honestly don’t remember my first bra shopping experience, but apparently my aunt took me while my mother was out of town. These days when I pass by the girls’ underwear section at stores like Target, I am shocked by the selections available. There is no longer the innocence of childhood, but rather mini versions of what I wear as a 30-year old woman. Seeing the padded and pushup bras for tweens makes me feel sick to my stomach much the same as Abercrombie & Fitch’s sale of thongs to the same target market. It’s just so unnecessary.

I have to commend you, Megan, for not only being passionate about something, but also for standing up and doing something to make a difference where you saw a “problem.” If only more folks, young and old, would display such effort. I know I have a while to go before we reach that stage with our daughter, but I honestly hope your company is still around and is still running under the same principles as it is today. I’d much rather spend my money to support your business than to help corporations justify their marketing techniques by buying their too grown up products.

14. Jane Voepel says:

I want to comment on bras not found much for adults. Manufacturers make size 38 in different cup sizes but… How many of us need 40 inches and a smaller cup? I do! Found a Jodee in 40A. Great!
    Why don’t all companies get on the bandwagon? Maybe this young lady can. She is doing a wonderful thing.

15. Jennie says:

Great job! In 9 years between my oldest and youngest girls I’ve seen training bras completely disappear from the market. In favor of more sexual looking padded bras which I refuse to purchase for my daughter. Wishing you luck in your venture!

16. will says:

As a single dad of a daughter I found all the bra choices appalling. I found that Speedo swim suits worked perfect. After reading this article, I would also say it’s almost same as these Yellowberries. I have turned several other parents on to this idea. My daughter has been wearing them for last three years . Benefit is I can buy top and bottom for 15 to 20 a piece. So it is more cost efficient. I do wish best to this company ,but unless price drops I don’t see purchasing them for my next child.

17. Laura says:

This is wonderful. Go Megan!

My suggestion would be to add more sizes as the company grows. I have always had a big chest and hated that I was a 34C by the time I was 12 years old. The only bras that existed were “old lady bras” or really sexualized Victoria’s Secret bras. My mom had to go through great lengths to find a basic bra for me that wasn’t too sexy or old lady-ish. It was awkward enough having a full chest by that age, and even worse trying to find a bra that wasn’t embarrassing.

As for the people saying that $40 is too expensive for a bra, you are fortunate enough to have a “normal” bra size where you can walk into a Walmart and buy a bra. My chest size is a 36G, so I have to go to a specialty lingerie store to buy bras that fit. I typically pay $60 for a bra, but they are high quality, last a long time, and fit!

18. Rhonda says:

$40.00 is too much for a little girls bra! They should be around ten or less. You can buy three sports bras for $10. Charging $40 is still leaving some girls out in the cold.

• Sheppe says:

Seriously? Where in this world can you buy 3 sports bras for $10 ?

• alicia says:

I know you can buy cheapy sports bras at Wal-Mart for $10 but this girl is paying American workers to make these, not having them made in foreign factories by girls younger than the ones who will be wearing them… Even if every girl can not afford them, this young woman is getting out awareness about the way our CHILDREN are being offered products that not only promote sexual lifestyle, but also make our precious young girls question their bodies and the shape and size they are. I don’t know about many other ladies, but I at 30(something) 😉 already have more years that I have been self conscious about my body then needed… If girls start questioning their bodies younger and younger, how many years do we have left of our children just being children??

All that to say, yeah. $10 for 3 sports bras…. or a $40 investment into this company that if sky rockets and demands change, how many more mainstream stores in the mall decide to jump on board?…. Maybe don’t look at the upfront cost. Maybe see it as an investment into future young girls lives… There comes a point where as mothers, we can demand industry change. Money talks.

• Tammy says:

Ditto what Alicia said. I’m not made of money but I like to support innovation and hard work and American Made whenever I can. If more people did, I think our whole country would be in a different situation. A better one. I hate that half out=r products come from China and are probably manufactured by companies we would cringe if we had details on. Yay for this girl and her idea! It’s not her fault that it is so difficult and expensive to get a company off the ground! I applaud her determination and motivation!!

19. Pam says:

Kudos. When my daughter was a young adolescent (not many years ago-she is 18 now), I would have chosen a root canal to bra shopping. I live in a large city and the choices were middle-age support or cheap sports bra at Walmart or a Target like store (I am in Canada) or La Senza. Although La Senza sells non-padded cotton bras at the back, it took two tries to get her to walk in the store past the “slut ware”. She wears a 36C now but if these came in her size I would buy one for her because comfort wise they look like a cross between a sports bra which she finds only good for sports and the underwire ones she still buys at la Senza.

• Caroline says:

I really sincerely hope you aren’t encouraging the term “slut wear” with your daughter. The bras you see at LaSenza, Victoria’s Secret and other lingerie stores aren’t “slutty”, they’re just for ADULTS. The word “slut” carries terrible connotations that women shouldn’t be interested in or comfortable having sex on their own terms.

• tessa says:

Wow, as someone who wears said “slut ware” I am really offended. I sincerely hope that’s not the way you talk to your daughter about sexuality.

• Barbara Young says:

I read that as that was the young girl was calling that store, not wanting to go in with her mother, being too embarrassed.

20. dcgatormommatotwins says:

Omg! I wish I had known about this while shopping for bras for one of my 8 year old twins- (Yes, 8)early this year. She is very developed, and in fact 4’11 – far more developed than her sister and most of her 3rd grade girlfriends. It was such a struggle trying to find a bra that wasn’t padded – I finally pulled the padding out of it because it looked so ridiculous and I didn’t want her looking like she was older than her years! She is a tennis player and when I showed her the bra she said, it looks like my tennis sports bra. Thank you for your creativity and insight.

21. Jennifer says:

This is too expensive and if modesty is an issue then why arent there neutral colors that wont show through lighter colored tops. Under garments should not be seen when worn. I love to see this young woman take this issue on but dont do it half-way and make it affordale. Secondly this bra would do nothing for a well-endowed pre-teen, they would provide no support. Expand your market and think through your idea.

• Susan says:

I agree, $40 for a training bra is too much. You’re right about the colors too. I want to know why the bra industry as a whole has placed the strap adjustment on the back side of the bra instead of the front.

• Caroline says:

Do you have suggestions on how to manufacture and sell “affordable” bras that don’t involve foreign workers and sweatshops? Because that’s where most mass-market bras are being made, hence the lower pricetag.

• Tammy says:

Girls like bright color sometimes. Even if they don’t show. I know I do.

22. karla slind says:

What a wonderful site. If I had young girls I would definitely be a buyer. I will have to tell my grandchildren when they grow up.

23. mimi says:

If we really want to stop sexualizing kids, and women in general, then why don’t we start by not making it a mandatory right of passage to strap our breasts into these contraptions. Not enough people stop and think WHY in the world we’re wearing these things, and what it’s doing to our bodies. Research shows it does not stop breasts from sagging in fact it makes it worse, and it also restricts normal lymphatic circulation in that area of our bodies, as well as restrict normal movement during exercise which creates weakness in certain muscles at best, and severe shoulder pain at worse. Now, poor kids are made to feel ashamed when their nipples are showing, thanks to this stupid bra culture.

• Vira says:

There is no “bra culture”. This isn’t Tumblr. I don’t know about you, but I would never go out without wearing one, and not even trying to be modest, it’s because I need support. Walking, running, any exercise at all, even sitting for long periods of time, it hurts to do these things with no support. Breasts do not stay stationary, they move and bounce, and that can be incredibly painful, especially during puberty. I was always slightly larger than my friends, and even so, we would always complain during gym class about how it hurt to run laps. Young women play sports, they go outside and do activities that require movement, and not only is it painful, but it can also be extremely embarrassing and noticeable having your breasts bouncing and moving up and down to the point where it can disgustingly be considered “sexual”. There are girls and women who don’t want that, and I wouldn’t want that either. Hence, support. There are negative health issues to go along with many things both men and women wear, so if that’s your problem, then don’t wear one, but do not treat this as if it is some kind of conspiracy to keep women down. I am a 27 year old woman, and let me tell you that I am all too well aware that women have enough trying to keep us down, or oppress us. We don’t need someone trying to shame both men and women for creating “Bra culture”, there’s enough of that going around as it is. Wake up and realize not everything is a “fight”. Yes, bras can be very inappropriate for certain age groups, that I agree with. But not with the thought that we shouldn’t wear them at all. Women wear them for all different reasons, so get off your social justice warrior white horse and get real.

24. Christine says:

It seems like quite a few commenters here don’t have any experience with starting a business. Startups never start out with a full line. They start with a limited line and then gradually increase their offerings as their business grows. Secondly, no small business can offer their products at discount store prices. Those 20 dollar bras are marketed by large corporations who have them manufactured in China or another 3rd world country. A product like this has to be sold for more than the “cost of cotton.” There is overhead, employees, marketing, lawyers, business taxes, and all kinds of other expenses that need to be paid in order to stay in business.

25. Amanda says:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-871942/maidenform-3-pk-crop-bras-girls-7-16.jsp These things already exist, and are much cheaper elsewhere. This is not an original idea.

• dc says:

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. I have bought these bras at Target for my daughter so while I admire this young girl for starting a company and her designs are pretty, there is definitely plenty of product out there that is similar. These are not available at Victoria’s Secret but they are definitely available elsewhere. I don’t know how people missed it in their Target shopping trips when they are definitely sold there. And very inexpensive, as your link has shown. Yellowberry’s designs and quality may be superior (that is a personal decision) – the bras look thicker. Kudos to the founder and her team. I plan to go ahead and buy one to support her efforts.

26. Jeanie - twin falls motherhood examiner says:

Thank you! As a mother of a daughter I am thankful that there are those you wish to keep the innocence in girls.

27. Sandy says:

Megan, So thankful for young ladies like you that stand up for your principles! Thank you for your commitment to young girls everywhere.

28. Tracy says:

What this young woman has created goes far beyond creating a bra. She has created an entire brand and identity with a following and values. This concept of entrepreneurship is very hard people who are twice or more her age.

I am perplexed by the comments like “think this idea through.” I think raising well over your Kickstarter goal and outselling your product immediately means she’s thought it through and captured her target market. I have a feeling some people are a little jealous or insecure.

$40 is not too much to pay for products that are made here in the US and that kind of quality. These bras are very different than your average sportsbra. Sportsbars are meant to hold you in. So much so, I personally find them extremely uncomfortable. It costs more to make items in the US that is why so many companies are outsourcing to developing countries for cheap labor. You forget no only materials and labor that go into the making of a garment. Would you rather she outsourced and got these made in a foreign sweat shop?

Bravo Megan, you have a spirit, business acumen, and drive that will take you far. Look closely negative commenters this is the future. Please support the future instead of tearing it down.

29. Lori says:

These are overpriced sports bras. While I commend this young woman from showing initiative and starting her own business, I could buy similar bras in Target for under $12. I would not spend $40 on a bra for a child. Their bodies change too quickly.

That said, if there is a sexualization of girls’ clothing it is because their mothers are buying it. My mother placed rules on my wardrobe, and I did with my girls as well. I remember having a very hard time finding shirts long enough and pants with a waist high enough to meet school dress code. This was tough to do because low rise and short shirts were in – and that is what people were buying.

The manufacturers don’t shove this down our throats – it’s all about public demand. When I see baby and toddler clothes with sequins and leather – give me a break.

If you don’t like what you see – don’t buy it. There ARE choices.

30. Kathleen Maguire says:

They should consider changing their motto: “Changing the bra industry for young girls.”

The bras are for girls or young women, not young girls. (Surely they are not targeting the pre-school set.)

31. Lisa Ezeamii says:

This is a lovely idea, but I dont know very many people who can afford $40 for a single bra for a little girl.

32. Shay says:

I love this idea and how playful and fun the styles are. I loved colorful and playful panties from the time I was small, and my mom was always putting me in big granny panties. The same thing happened when it came time for bra shopping at the tender age of 12 so bra shopping was pretty horrific during those young years. To this day, I still love colorful and fun for day-to-day wear. I think this will help young tweens feel confident about their bodies as they change.

33. Danialle says:

These might work if you’re one of the girls who have small breasts. But I started developing at the age of 8, and was a full 34C by the age of 12. There’s no way i could have or would have worn these bras at that age. They would have given me a uniboob and my nipples would definitely have shown through my clothing – which IMO is far more innapropriate than wearing a padded undewire bra.

34. sheilsm says:

Great idea, but $40 is much too high. Have they tried to get on TV show Shark Tank?

35. Laura Lewis says:

This is great! Shame on the people attempting to tear her down for trying to get this business started! For those of you saying there are similar bras at Target and Walmart.. well that’s great.. if you shop there. Some people do, some people don’t. There are very similar products of varying quality and price points sold in different stores because they are targeting different consumers. Seems to me her target audience is basically her mother (because it will most likely be the tweens’ mothers spending the money). She saw a need for a certain “type of person” in a certain area that was not being met. Bravo to her! Not to mention she actually found a seamstress, hired a seamstress, found a factory that would work with her, started a Kickstarter campaign, made a plan and PUT IT INTO ACTION! Not to mention she obviously had an article written about her on LingerieTalk.com! So her idea is already getting press coverage. Seems to me that she is on the road to success! Even if this business fails, I’m sure she will learn valuable information from this experience that she could not get from a lot of college business school or fashion design classes.

36. Liz says:

These are very similar to sports bras. They also have tons of trainer bras at American Apparel (no they are not all see through), They have them at Aerie and also have seen them at Garage. I’m an adult but as I have smaller breasts I prefer to wear them. Either way, awesome marketing idea from a young entrepreneur.

37. Excellent! And I hope you next design appropriate underpants for girls and teen girls. When my youngest (now graduating from college) was in her tweens, I left one department store, because all the underwear was either sexually-oriented or just plain stupid. Why are words written across the bottoms? Ridiculous. Kudos to you!

38. oma tee says:

I can’t afford to pay $40 for a bra for myself! I’ll be looking for a pattern to make something for my granddaughter that is more modest than something padded and push-up. I was excited about this till I saw the price. It’s great for the upper middle class, but those of us who are working folk and make less than $50K a year can’t do much but dream about having enough to get a bra like this for our girls.

39. Sara says:

The problem is with her bras is that i could have not worn them after age 9. Some girls get breasts like myself (and no i was not fat) young and need that underwire. Her bras are for girls who do not really need a bra yet but want one. I was a c cup by the time i was 11 and felt alienated because those cute bras for young girls never fit me. I disagree with her campaign. It is because her 13 sister was not developed yet that this looked like a problem. If you go into a kids store like justice she could find these cute bras for her sister. Its not society’s fault her sister is a late bloomer.

40. Mom-of-teenage-girl says:

I am curious where Megan is from that these types of bras are not available. Or if she went to more stores than what is available in the mall specialty shops? Victoria’s Secret does not provide a training bra, but JCPenny does. My 14 year old daughter started needing a bra in the 5th grade and JCP had this same product (thin cotton, adjustable straps, sports-bra-like look) and she was able to choose from a large variety of colors and styles. I haven’t done the research on where JCP gets their lingerie made, but the price was much more affordable for a girl who was growing and going to be needing a different style and size very soon. I hope this works out for Megan, since there are apparently areas that do not have this product already available.

41. Candice says:

$40 is way too expensive for a little girls bra. If you want little girls to stay away from the sexy bras then you’re going to have to lower your prices. Moms don’t want to pay a bunch of money for a bra for their little girls even if it’s to promote the idea of non-sexual bras. We need to be able to afford the bras. I got my 11 year old cute inexpensive bras at Walmart for around $10 to $15 and they are non-sexual.

• Rachel says:

Hi Candice,
      I totally understand the cost of children’s clothing – I have three kids to clothe. But when a bra is $10, then you can be sure that someone along the way is not getting paid. We all need to start doing with less and purchase a few quality things that we know have not exploited anyone else. I don’t want someone else’s young daughter to be putting in 12 hours days for $1.50 per day, just so I can buy my daughter a cheap bra. I know it’s tough – and I know it’s not likely that our “first world” country will ever truly empathize with poorer countries or countries that exploit their lower class labour force, but I like to think that some of us will try.

42. Melissa says:

Megan, you run with this idea – it’s brilliant! Listen closely to the comments posted… This is your consumer… with that, think where can you market this price point to build a healthy profit… Once your business is up and going, you can look at ways to provide a variety of price points to your consumer. I suggest reaching out to companies such as Nordstrom, Saks, Neimans – the clientele can support this price point & these companies support ‘freshness’ to the fashion market. Good luck!

43. Susan says:

Do come on my community radio program In The Pink a program for Women! Please promote your product in Tasmania Australiia.
    The program goes live to air Fridays 10-12 midday Tas time and you can book by email and call in on the Friday of your choice in July! Well done….thanks for helping your sister and young women across the world. 610362971706 10-4pm to phone reception for an interview.

• Joanne says:

Please don’t talk about Pink as if all women are in favor of being typed by it. I hate the pink campaigns. They trivialize a life threatening disease to a club membership that no one wants. I didn’t survive breast cancer. I survived breast cancer treatment and no amount of women walking down my street screaming “Save the Tatas” or honking a horn while yelling it out a car window is going to get me to join this uber clique of women who see their identity in their boobs. So sad.

44. Cathy says:

Along with age appropriate bras should come an age appropriate price tag. These prices are obscene. Great idea, but they will run out of customers soon

45. ashley says:

People, calm down about price and colors and sizes. It’s a small start up company. H&M didn’t start off at low prices and wide variety, so ypu can’t expect a teenage highschooler’s company to either. How about we try promoting young initiative and work ethic instead of tryinb to put it down because it doesn’t fit exactly what we want.

Great job, young lady. I look forward to seeing more amazing things from you in the future!!

46. Liz H says:

Uhm, they are already selling bras almost identical to this at Target for $6.99.

47. H George says:

My now-married daughter was a VERY early developer. (To the point that medical intervention was almost followed through with. We made drastic changes to her diet to keep things at a ‘stop’ for a few more years.) At the age of almost 6 years old it was time for a serious training bra. We had to layer her clothes in three layers: an undershirt, a T-shirt and then her overshirt. The options were not available at all for her size. She wore a size 4 in children’s clothing. (She made it to 5 ft tall by 14).

My point is that there are so many hormones in foods that girls are developing at a young age. With today’s busy days, unless a caregiver is completely on their game, there is a need for these. From size 4/5 and up. Sounds crazy but I lived it with my daughter. At 7 years old her hormones kicked in. She went from layers to a B bra ‘overnight’. By the time she was 10 she was a D. At 13 she grew so rapidly we had to change her size every few weeks. At 14 she finally leveled out. Try finding a GG for a 14 yr old… There is a need for supportive bras for these girls. We ended up having to order her bras from overseas – France.

48. Julie says:

I am not sure were this young women went shopping? However, Justice, Dillards, Target, and many many other companies sell appropriate aged bras for girls 9 to 15 that are not sexual in nature at all. What we classify as training bras, sports bras, and yes simple comfortable bras that have many shapes and sizes and padding and no padding, and even some more suitable for the 14 to 15 y/o who is at that age that don’t want a “kiddy bra”. While I commend her idea and her drive and her business sense it is out there! Sorry to burst any bubble here. But congrats and keep working hard. I would never pay that and don’t have to for my girls. They sell for about $12 apiece at those stores. Maybe $20 at most.

49. tcby32 says:

I am really surprised at all the negative comments towards this young woman and her product. She saw a need where she was and chose to make a change. Bravo to her for having the drive to make this happen. All of you trolls need to crawl back in your holes of negativity … save your miserable attitudes and try to focus on the positive for a change.

50. leah says:

I am very sad to see all the negative comments that are being posted here. Why are women trash-talking an innovative young woman for seeing a problem, coming up with a solution, and creating jobs in America? Megan did a great thing here, and I plan to buy one for my 9-year-old.

I’m a single mother who is on a limited budget, but I’m more than willing to shell out the $40, especially for a well-made product that didn’t rely on sweatshop labor. That’s less than a monthly cable bill or even a takeout meal for a family of four. Perspective.