LingerieTalk
Home / Yellowberry: Meet the Teen Titan Who Is Taking On The Youth Bra Industry
600x74 Bridal Guide
Yellowberry_9

It took only one trip to the mall to show Megan Grassell what was wrong with the bra industry. And 10 months of hard work to figure out how to change it.

Today, the 18-year-old high school senior from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is the founder of Yellowberry, an underwear company that’s making wholesome, age-appropriate bras for girls aged 11-15.

That’s the sort of thing Megan couldn’t find a year ago when she took her kid sister Mary Margaret, then 13, shopping for her first bra.

“It was an awkward moment for her, but a chance for me to show off my sisterly knowledge,” Megan wrote in the Kickstarter pitch that helped get Yellowberry off the ground.

“I couldn’t believe the bras that she was supposed to buy,” she added. “The choices for her, and for all girls her age, were simply appalling to me. They were all padded, push-up and sexual. Not only that, they did not fit her body properly, which automatically made me wonder ‘Where were the young, cute and realistic bras for girls?’ There were none!”

That ‘Eureka!’ moment was the spark that created Yellowberry — and may have ripple effects throughout the teen lingerie world, which has been the target of significant consumer activism in recent years.

“It was literally like an epiphany,” Megan told Lingerie Talk this week. “I was holding a bra in my hands and I just said, ‘This is not okay. I’m going to make bras for girls.'”

She turned to the crowdfunding site Kickstarter hoping to raise $25,000 to launch Yellowberry, and was stunned by the response. When the 30-day campaign ended on Sunday, it had raised almost $42,000 to finance Yellowberry’s first production order, making it one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever for an underwear or lingerie start-up.

Yellowberry_11

Yellowberry is as much a movement as it is a bra company, using its marketing and merchandising platform to fight back against the hyper-sexualized commercial environment that adolescent girls face every day. Fans are called “Berries” and the company’s motto — “Changing the bra industry for young girls” — boldly challenges the status quo.

Yellowberry will be different because at the core of the company what we want to do is sell a bra in a non-sexy way,” Megan said. “In lingerie, that’s a new idea.”

“For those girls aged 11 to 15 the options they have to buy are for the most part overly sexual. They need a different bra that doesn’t scream ‘sex’.

“You shouldn’t have to buy a sequined push-up bra when you’re 13. You shouldn’t have to feel pressured to look a certain way.”

Megan2
Megan (right) and Mary Margaret Grassell

Yellowberry is already on the market, with a professional website and online shop selling two youth bra styles in four colors, with cute names like ‘Tweetheart’ and ‘Tiny Teton’ for about $40. The cotton-spandex pieces are soft and metal-free, designed to provide a comfortable transition between children’s undershirts and the style-driven world of molded cups and T-shirt bras that lies ahead.

Yellowberry gives girls the idea that they don’t have to grow up so quickly,” Megan said.

“We’re not saying what’s right or wrong. It’s not my right to tell someone what’s appropriate or not,” she added. “I just want everyone to have another option.”

The Yellowberry name is a symbol of the need to nurture adolescent girls during a critical and challenging time in their development.

“Think about a berry before you pick it,” Megan said. “It’s still yellow. It’s not yet ripe. It has to go through certain stages until it is ripe. And you can’t rush those stages because they are what will eventually create a beautiful berry.”

Yellowberry_6

Megan had no experience in business or fashion when she came up with the concept for Yellowberry, but that didn’t stop her.

She worked with a seamstress in Jackson Hole to develop prototypes, sourced a manufacturer in Los Angeles and spent months fit-testing samples with the help of local friends.

She had a gut feeling the concept would catch fire, but after the first four days of her Kickstarter campaign, Yellowberry had received only $2,000 in donations and little attention. Undaunted, Megan reached out to Facebook groups, companies and online groups that promoted causes aimed at empowering young women.

Then, however, schoolwork intervened and Megan headed to Guatemala for a week-long class trip, a journey that left her without internet access for a full day.

When the students arrived at their Guatemala City hotel, Megan plugged in her computer, checked her Kickstarter campaign … and started crying. Yellowberry had gone viral overnight, and was already past its $25,000 funding goal.

More than 1,000 donors contributed to the campaign, many of them young girls — and their parents — who are enthusiastically supportive of the new company and its mission.

Related: Why A Teen Training Bra Is Worth $40

Yellowberry_2

Part of Yellowberry‘s undeniable appeal is its authentic marketing (the company’s promotional photos use non-professional models) and the heartfelt values embodied in its mission statement.

Yellowberry espouses six ‘mantras’ that are printed on its hangtags, and which were written years ago following the tragic death at age 5 of Megan’s youngest sister Caroline, who fell from a moving float during a parade.

Those mantras, written by Caroline’s godparents as a tribute to the little girl’s bright spirit, encourage people to celebrate their youth in a loving and natural way… and not feel so rushed. ‘Water the flowers everyday’. ‘Watch quietly and observe’. ‘Find a hug when you need one’. ‘Go barefoot’. And finally, ‘Campfires are rare; eat as many marshmallows as you can’.

Megan has taken those truths and applied them to Yellowberry‘s business plan and its broader purpose of supporting young girls.

“Caroline is still powerful in my mind,” she writes in her biographical sketch on the Yellowberry website. “She taught me through both her life and her sudden death to slow down and enjoy each day as its own.

“These statements help reiterate the values behind my simple goal: build a bra that is unique, colorful and young made for all girls who love and enjoy their youthful, yellow stages in life.”

Yellowberry_10

While her classmates look for summer jobs, Megan will be running Yellowberry full-time (with her mother, Lynn) until next spring when she heads to college in Vermont. The company is already working on future designs and hopes to offer underwear choices with its next collection.

In the meantime, she has a message for all those mall brands targeting pubescent girls with sparkly, padded push-up bras.

“Girls come in a lot of shapes and sizes, but the bras I seen when I go shopping all look the same,” Megan said. “They’re creating a false sense of variety. Not everything has to look so similar.”

Yellowberry_8

www.yellowberrycompany.com

Posted in Lingerie News

341 Responses to “Yellowberry: Meet the Teen Titan Who Is Taking On The Youth Bra Industry”

1. April says:

I think this is awesome!! I am 37 (next week) and I hate that the only options are pushup, padded bras, and that’s for me. I can’t imagine being 11-16 and having almost no option for something more modest. Yes $40 for a bra is high, but THINK about what you’re paying for and what you are telling your daughter!! Not to mention, almost ALL of the volleyball players I coach are wearing Lululemon and Lorna Jane…those are $60 on clearance! I’m pretty sure a lot of parents can afford the $40 price tag. Of course, some cannot, but hopefully, once this company gains more traction they can lower the price a little. Keep working, lady…this is something special that should tell the US that our kids want something more wholesome!

• Alicia says:

I don’t know… I won’t pay $18 for my own bra… not to mention my daughter’s which will be outgrown in 6 months…

• Jenna says:

How much do you pay for your cable bill? Or cell phone?

• JAN says:

I generally can’t lay less than $50 for a decent bra, but then I’m a 34G. I had to pay a lot even when going because at 12 years old (and I only weighed 80 some pounds then and I only weigh 130 now) I wore a 34C. Some young girls need real bras and they’re never cheap.

• Coretta says:

As a mom of 6 girls (ranging in age from 20 to 6) I can tell you I would NEVER spend $40 on a bra. I don’t even spend that much on my own bra. I wouldn’t be able to afford bras for all my girls even if I only had 2 girls. As for the padding (not the enlarging push up kind but the barrier kind) my girls and I greatly appreciate this and don’t buy bras without it. It keeps embarrassing protrusions from showing through your clothes when you get cold or nervous. We hold modesty in very high regard in my family. I applaud this young lady for making a business for herself, but I don’t think she quite understands every young girl’s needs, apparently some have different priorities.

• LK says:

Where are you shopping? I never have any problem finding regular non-padded non-pushup bras at department stores like Kohls. I like them to be comfortable, no wires or padding and I usually have a large selection of those to choose from.

• risrio says:

It’s about investment. $40 for a good quality bra (that you wear every day for at least 6 months) is very inexpensive. Would you spend $20 for a shirt that you wear once a week? Would you spend $40 for a pair of shoes that you wear every other day? This is 20 cents a day for 6 months of wearing a comfortable, modest bra that emphasizes a healthy philosophy for young girls. So “skanky” costs less – isn’t that saying something, too?

2. Shan Jeniah Burton says:

Some even younger girls, like mine, are physically ready for a bra, while, in other respects, they’re young, and not ready to be grown up. This looks like a wonderful option for my daughter and others like her.

We’ll be looking into this together. =)

• Lily says:

Don’t waste your time, they are completely over priced and look like something you could buy at walmart/target for $5. Seriously who buys a $40 bra for a kid who is just going to out grow it in a few months? I personally dont have hundreds to spend on bras each year for my daughter, but I am still able to find perfectly tasteful, non revealing undies and bras.

• melissa says:

Yes, buy a $5 bra at Walmart that was made in another country by a child suffering deplorable working conditions for next to no pay that was shipped to a store and stocked by an employee who is denied health insurance and full-time hours but is trying to support themselves on minimum wage. And be sure to judge said employee for needing to be on food stamps, while you are at it. That is way better than supporting a young, American entrepreneur with a great business model who sets a great example for young girls.

• T. Burrows says:

WHOA, Melissa sure ate her Liberal Wheaties today didn’t she!

3. Karina Butterfield says:

Megan, you have made this mother proud. Great gumption and enthusiasm behind a perfect idea.

4. Terri says:

Great idea but too expensive! I don’t even pay that for my own bra! Good luck though!

5. nancy says:

GREAT idea !!! Love it. But a bit pricey for us ! Will be looking for these in the stores !!! Hopefully the price will come down a little in the future. (I have 2 granddaughters age 6 and 11 and I am thankful someone is getting the message we don’t want our little girls looking like Miley Cyrus !)

6. Lacey says:

All in all this is a great idea. But honestly, all it is is an over priced training bra. When I was nine and started to develop my grandma took me and we bought cotton and spandex bras that had no wiring in them. All it did was hold them in place, and not well. I still had that awkward nipple protrusion on cold days and if I wanted to run, it was very uncomfortable still. They make bras that don’t scream ‘sex’. If you didn’t take your daughters to Victoria Secrets to buy their first bras. The bra I’m wearing now was bought at Walmart, it was 18$ and has no padding, no sequins, no lace. It is a plain purple bra that holds me in and doesn’t make it awkward to wear a cotton t-shirt on a chilly day or to run and hot feel like I have to hold myself in place. I agree most bras now are more sexual, but society is getting more sexual. You don’t need some fancy name brand and to spend 40$ though to get a cotton training bra if that’s what you think is best for your daughter. Forcing her to wear one of these would be like forcing her to use pads over tampons even though she feels like she’s wearing a diaper and yes, all of her friends have pointed out her maxi-pad line at school. The bra is hardly seen by anyone anyways. Maybe a few of her girlfriends see it in the locker room, or her brother sees it when he’s helping mom with laundry. There is nothing wrong with under-wire. Honestly, I think it’s better to have. It gives you the support you need.

• Sarah says:

I completely agree. I am 22 but am currently wearing a $9 wal-mart teen bra. I’ve been small all of my life and I don’t feel the need to have sequins, etc. While mine has a little tiny bit of padding, I also find that necessary to hide nip protrusion from my shirts. Imagine how embarrassed these little ones will be when boys start making fun of their little nips poking out of their shirts. They should have at least a little layer of extra film. I don’t spend $40 on my own bras and the one that I’m wearing has minimal padding, no underwire because it is a “t-shirt” bra, and it came in pink and orange hearts without a deep plunge. When I was a kid looking at my first bras, I found plenty of these plain white, beige, and black things that looked like mini tankini tops. They didn’t cover me adequately.

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID- This was a great idea, I love the idea behind it, but you’re marketing to young girls. A $40 bra is absolutely ridiculous to think of spending for a 12 year old girl who is going to outgrow it rapidly. The only time I spend more than $20 is when I do the 3 for 25 deal they have at my favorite shop.

• Diane Wise says:

Just an FYI from a midwife: Underwires increase the risk of breast cancer.

• Jaime says:

That’s great that you would rather spend less money, but keep in mind the bras you buy from Wal-Mart are likely made by little girls in 3rd world countries who would LOVE to be able to wear any type of bra. At least this girl’s company is in the USA. That to me makes anything worth a high price!

• Alisha says:

@Diane Wise: No they don’t. It would be great if you didn’t use your job to further perpetrate myths :)

• Angie says:

Goodness, I wish I could wear bras from Walmart! Sadly, with my ginormous tatas on a small frame, that’s simply not feasible and I end up paying at LEAST $60/bra if I’m lucky to find one on clearance. I would’ve loved something like this as a developing girl and, if I ever have a daughter, I’m glad for her that there is an option like this available for her – especially if hers spring out of nowhere like mine did. Good thing I’m already used to spendy bras? 😉

• Dr. J Cole says:

@Alisha ~ Yes, underwire bras do in fact increase the risk of breast cancer. There is compelling research published about it. I’m a doctor, not a midwife, however the midwives I do know have been (intuitively?) espousing this long before any research came out. Well done midwives.

• Lily says:

@ Dr. j. Cole
      Myth: Wearing an underwire bra increases your risk of getting breast cance
      Reality: Claims that underwire bras compress the lymphatic system of the breast, causing toxins to accumulate and cause breast cancer, have been widely debunked as unscientific. The consensus is that neither the type of bra you wear nor the tightness of your underwear or other clothing has any connection to breast cancer risk.

• JAN says:

@Dr. J Cole. Citation please. Cochrane database, Pubmed?

• T.J. says:

@Lily: Citations for these “debunkings,” please? Preferably in a peer-reviewed publication.

• Ashley says:

My husband’s nipples are naturally “at attention” 24/7. If we stop looking at this as a problem/sexual thing, then others will follow suit and stop harassing girls. Let’s change our perspective from “You shouldn’t wear that if you don’t want negative attention” to “It shouldn’t matter what a person is wearing, they still deserve respect.” Otherwise we are just perpetuating rape culture.

• Marissa says:

@Diane Wise: I guess I’ll have to continue with the chance of breast cancer, because there’s no way my boobies are staying up without underwire!!

7. Millie says:

Will be looking for these as soon as the prices drop!

8. AmberNJimmy says:

I agree the pre-teen and teen bras need a fresh look for every body type. Like my 9 year old isn’t quiet ready for a cupped bra but need a littl padding because she is starting to bud but with 4 kids in our home 2 of which are girls there is no way I could pay $40 for a simple sports bra. I don’t pay that much for my plain push up bras bought at walmart. Most I pay for mine is $12. I don’t think the company is targeting ALL girls but just girls from a specific financial advantage. Good luck though it is a good idea even though I couldn’t afford them.

9. Ms. Pris says:

Kudos to Megan for starting a business and doing her thing! I think that’s great.

That aside: I question the truthiness of her origin story. Red flag: she says that none of the bras her sister was “supposed to buy” were appropriate. She also says though that those bras didn’t fit her sister properly. So, on what grounds were those the bras that her sister was “supposed to buy”? Where were they shopping?

When I first started wearing bras, (age 9) for some reason, the only thing available in my size were heavily padded bras. I really hated them.

Nowadays I see tons of cotton bralets on Zulily. I just checked Nordstrom.com and there are also a bunch of plain cotton bralets there. There are a ton of bras that look almost identical to the Yellowberry offerings. So, there are ample plain, non-sexual options available to young women and girls.

Having a good origin story is actually an important marketing thing for some reason. It supposedly makes people feel engaged with the brands. So I bet she sat down with her mom and made this one. It has bonus points for OUTRAGE.

10. sunnygirl says:

Thank goodness! every time I walk past those padded training bras I want to GAG! And then I think what mom buys this junk? I LOVE these! Let’s bring back the real training bra.

11. sunnygirl says:

One more thing, as far as the nipple thing goes, we all have them… even men. My first training bra was white and pretty with a little bit of lining – not padded. I’ve talked to mom’s who use the nipple protrusion as an excuse for buying their girls padded bras. What is worse the occasional nipple protrusion or a skinny little girl with big boobs? What do you think people will notice more? I think parents need to really think before they buy and not assume that companies have their best interest in mind… it’s ALL about sales, and in order to sell they have to brainwash people into believing they need this item.

• kayla says:

The nipple problem is very real for some girls. When boys in her school notice and comment on their nips it is extremely embarrassing. It is a simple thing to create a layer of protection that prevents this situation. Very important for some people.

12. Lauren says:

So you made a sports bra and charge $40 because you have a sappy story about your innocent sister? How about going to Walmart or Target and getting a regular cheap bra, and not Victoria’s Secret or something like that. This looks like a scam to me…

13. Heather says:

I have 5 daughters and it is a challenge to find a bra that is appropriate for them, these do seem like a good option, but I agree the price is too high. $20 is a bit more reasonable, I buy my daughter similar bras at Sears for $20.

14. Beth says:

This is a good idea but way too expensive. I hope it kicks off and the price can be lowered. There are bras out there that are appropriate for this age group if you go to the right department that are way less expensive. Good luck with your adventure!

15. miznursie says:

Where were they shopping? My daughters (now 16 and 21) are very conservative in their mode of dress, and they have all kinds of bras like this which cost far less than $40. And since the mom is so actively involved here, why wasn’t she the one taking the younger sister bra shopping for the first time? The whole story sounds absurd. I can’t believe people are buying either the story or the overpriced product.

16. Heather says:

They should try to get on Shark Tank and take this to a whole ‘nother level with their marketing and business partners. They may be able to lower production costs which would effect the purchase cost for consumers as well. This is a fantastic idea and one that everyone should know about!

17. Nancy M says:

This is a great idea and I love that she cared so much for her sister and the options out there. Yes, it has been a little hard to find something for my daughter, but I don’t feel right about paying $40 for a bra for a girl that age. I don’t have to pay that much for myself – why do I want to pay one for a girl that is going to change and develop and probably not wear it too long. Love the idea, love the look, don’t love the price!!!! Make it more affordable and I’ll be purchasing until then – we will stick with what we found!

18. KKB says:

This is a great idea. For those who are looking for a cheaper option: walmart and target both sell cotton sports bras for women and girls with small busts. I’m 25, and a 34A and wear a sports bra everyday. Comfortable, understated, and age-aprops for basically every small busted person.

Are they ugly? Yeah, basically. They don’t separate so you end up getting uni-boob, but for $5 for a whole pack, it fits the budget. You can find non-padded “regular” bras out there, but they are so uncomfortable and hot. A cups really don’t need support.

ALSO PARENTS pleaseeee don’t have your daughter’s sized at the mall. They only measure the chest length (ex: 34) and not the cup (A, B, C etc). You can do it at home yourself. For the longest time as a young girl I was wearing extra-padded 34B’s because I blindly followed the sales-girls size options. Learn the strap length and then try on all sorts of cup sizes to see what works. Don’t be afraid of A cups!

Anyway, these bras are adorable, and so I might buy them for myself. Bit of a silly statement to say that small-cupped bras are only for “developing” girls. Some of us develop in more low-key ways 😉

19. Prairie says:

Love the concept! I assume because they are made in the US and that they are spandex and cotton mix that they cost so much. I hope by the time my daughter needs one they will be a little more affordable for girls that will be quickly outgrowing them. It’s not that I don’t want to support local but honestly can’t afford $40 for a training bra. :-)

20. Matthew & Maggie says:

I know I probably don’t have much reason to be in there, but I DO have an 11-year old daughter, and I worry about her “only choices”. It’s been a struggle with everything clothing related.

This is awesome. My wife and I agree that we’ll be helping our daughter through development with this product.

What’s appalling though, are the comments and reviews on this page by women and mothers…seriously?! WTH? So it’s not worth the extra cost to you ladies for your daughter’s comfort and propriety? Way to be a part of the problem.

• Debster says:

Thank you. Finally, someone who celebrates this. If you can’t honor this girl’s commitment and insight, then STFU. Yes, in some ways this product is similar to others. And, it may be more expensive than you would like. We get that. Make your point and let it go. There is no need to disparage this young lady’s vision or passion. Especially, do not make judgments related to motive or marketing.

My children are adults now. I have a grandson but no granddaughters. If I did have a girl of this age in my life, I would without hesitation go without my super mocha chocolatta coffee for a week and buy her this bra. Not only does that purchase affirm the determination of the inventor, it says to that precious girl in my life, “You, honey, are precious and worth nurturing. I will sacrifice my splurges in order to show you tangibly that your development, self-consciousness and modesty are worth it.” May the yellowberry logo and legacy be an object lesson of what is RIGHT about some of today’s teenagers and also become a conversation starter between girls about what this yellowberry they’ve been hearing about is and what it stands for.

21. Jennifer says:

As far as I’m concerned these bras are wonderful! I have a 13 yr old daughter and we buy Under Armour sports bras for her. Mothers/grandmother keeping our daughters age appropriate and teaching them self respect and modesty is priceless!

22. Judy says:

Great idea for young girls but in my opinion the price tag is way to high … especially for young girls nearing the growth spurts where their support needs are going to change frequently! Maybe a lower price in the future? Good luck with it, great idea great product. Just too much for this family to pay!

23. Erin says:

AWESOME!!! I think all women should be supportive of a young woman with this type of vision and drive. She should be applauded. If the product is out of your price range, that doesn’t make it undesirable for others. This is a great product, and I’ve heard from many friends with pre-teen girls that have faced the same issue shopping for pre-teen girls if they want something cute. If you want an ugly training bra, buy one, but these are a fun option for a girl that isn’t too excited by the prospect of having to start wearing a bra. For all those complaining that these are too expensive, you have already told us you can buy a bra at Walmart cheaper, so do it. I personally haven’t fit into a cheap bra in 15 years. I need serious support and my bra needs to do some series work. I only have pre-teen/teen sons, but I paid $80 for my last bra and would pay $40 for a daughter’s. When you break it down to cost per wear- you wear it EVERY day. It comes out to pennies or less if you care for it properly.

24. Amy Hoag says:

This is a great idea but it fails in the fact that the bra costs $40. That’s more than what I spend on bras for myself and I don’t see spending that kind of coin on a pre-teen.

25. Julie says:

I love what they are doing. My nine year old will be one who goes for the sexy pushup bras when it is time because she is so affected by pressure.. Anytime I see young girls standing up against the pressure, I will support them. We need girls willing to be good examples because they see so many bad examples.

The price is expensive but I am hoping that is because they used the best mterials possible to make a comfortable bra. Some women can wear cheap bras or those sexy bras. I can’t wear either because my skin is so sensitive. My mom didnt understand this so I would ho braless any chance I got and it was a battle to get me to wear one. I would pay this price for a bra that was truly comfortable. If the comfort helps keep liitle girls IN their bras Ithink it is worth it.

• Heather says:

I homeschool, which definitely helps w/ much of the non-relenting pressure our girls are getting trapped inside a building w/ peers- which form cliques and can make life so very hard for so many.. Though, I can even see how general marketing and her friends affect her..

I see mom’s putting make-up on their little 9yr olds.. It breaks my heart. My daughter attempted this, and I told her that ONLY on certain occassions and w/ very natural look.

As their parents, that have all purchasing power, we must not give in to peer pressure ourselves, and to do are best to instill the importance of individuality. I tell my girls that God specifically created them the way they are, and God does not make mistakes. :)

Good Luck.. It is definitely getting harder every yr <3

26. Judy Jacobs says:

I’m the mother of a teen girl, have not had difficulty buying non-pushup, non-padded, non- sequinned bras that fit. I would have difficulty paying $40 for a piece of brightly-colored knit fabric with little shoulder straps, though, especially knowing that my daughter would likely outgrow it in months. I don’t pay that much for my own bras, even those with bones, seams, adjustable hooks and eyes. What is most brilliant about this is that she was able to get donations to start the company and has customers crawling over themselves to buy the bras in the belief that they will somehow promote self-respect or modesty.

27. Patrice says:

This is great. Nice to see young people not buying into the whole ‘sexy” crap. When my girls started wearing bras I actually took them to a very expensive bra shop to have them fitted for custom fit bras. I was a single mom and it was a blow to the wallet but I wasn’t having my kids wearing those padded/push-up belly dancer looking bras. I wonder if they are using 100% cotton and being made in USA

28. Ruthann says:

If you want a non-sexy bra and are not a teen, I highly recommend http://decentexposures.com/
    They are not really competition with Yellowberry. I wear a 38 J, and I am comfortable with no shoulder pain.

29. Barbara says:

What many women and teens do not understand is that a bra is supposed to be comfortable AND make you look better WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON! Who cares how so-called ‘sexy’ someone looks in their underwear?

30. Taylor says:

I DEFINITELY needed more than what is basically a stretchy crop top by the time I was 13. Where are the more supportive, lightly padded, but still fun and cute rather than sexy bras for young teens with more developed bodies? I understand the yellow berry analogy, but I don’t think it’s fair to state that young girl=small breasts. What about the young girls with large breasts, who don’t want to be sexy yet but don’t want to buy old lady bras? Get on it, Megan!

31. A. Rene' says:

Five things:
    1. I think this is a great idea. From the look of them in the pictures they are pretty thick (as in layers) of fabric. It is great for young girls. Props to you young lady. Great cause and I support you.

2. Just because the age group is 10-15 doesn’t mean a girl who has developed early cannot get one. I was 8 when I developed breasts, 9 when I started puberty officially, by 10 years old I wore a 34 C and was 5 feet 6 inches tall, and less than a year later at 11 was a 36 D and 5ft 8 inches.

3. I have to wear metal under-wires at this point in my life, 30, as there is no other choice for proper support due to the fact that I am a size 40 I, which is insane in my opinion, but they are natural and proportionate. I am blessed. If I am at a higher risk for breast cancer that is sad, unfortunately I would rather have the separation and support than carry around 30 pounds of boob weight in a sports bra.

4. Last, for a well made, supportive, good quality, nice, not old lady bra I spend on average $55-$60 per bra at a specialty shop that sells these sizes in Dallas, Texas. They will custom fit for only $3 extra, and the bras last for 3-4 years each before beginning to show wear.

32. Ericka says:

Regardless of the cost or effectiveness, this was a person’s idea and they are pursuing that. This is very simple, if you don’t want to buy it, don’t buy it. If you do want to buy it, buy it. I personally think it is a great idea. I am always in the corner of anyone that wants to put forth effort and at least try an idea out! Great job!

33. Heather says:

What a wonderful idea, though I do agree that the amount being charged is VERY Steep! Many times, one can actually make more (covering their overhead and salaries) is they reduce the price of each unit, as you will sell more.

$40 is a lot for a fully mature women, that is way to much for a teen that is still maturing.. Something they should consider..

34. Jessica milnes says:

Wow! Soooooo happy to see girls acting like young girls! I am a mom as many who have something to say are. I want my little girl to be allowed to be a little girl for as long as possible. So thank you so much for having my back in telling her she does not need some show off bra. We as moms of young girls need more big girls like you to help lead the way for our young ones. Thank you!

35. gkfgl says:

Lily, I love all your comments… they are spot on and well researched… Good job!!

36. Amy says:

I am shocked by how many people think these are too costly! And how little attention is given to breast health. Good for you! Where can I order?!

37. Julie says:

Why is there not an all white option? In some of the pictures above, the girls are all wearing white or light colored shirts. They can’t possibly be wearing a blue or bright pink bra! Not only are sequins and push-ups inappropriate for young girls, so is showing off the color of your bra through your clothes. It’s a real attention grabber. :(
    Perhaps there is an all white bra that I just didn’t see displayed in this story. I’ll check the website. :)

• Ashley says:

Actually, nude colored would be best, because white bras show up underneath white shirts, totally defeating the purpose. I guess however that they aren’t expecting tweens to wear sheer/transparent clothing.

38. Bredan says:

Sounds like good advertising and little more. I live in Europe and these bras are standard fare and at much lower prices (and remember most things are more expensive here).

• Ashley says:

Link? If they are offered in Europe there has to be an online market for them for those of us outside of Europe to purchase.

39. Alyx says:

Way to go! I remember having the same experience when buying my first bra, took me a couple years and being forced to wear them to finally get me into them. Spent YEARS wearing cheap bras that gave be bruises, back and neck pain and tenderness all day long. I have recently discovered how critical it is to own a good bra, I spend about $100 per bra, but they will last you a decade if you take care of them.
    I am so happy that you stepped up to make a difference, fuck all the people that say they are too expensive, these are our BREASTS, they feed our children for goodness sake, let’s teach these young women to start taking care of themselves from the start and uplift them to realize they don’t need to be sexualized to be beautiful!

BIG KUDOS!!

40. Karen Redman says:

Way to Go! I appalaud you for seeing a need for the younger girls and creating a solution!! Yoou Go GIRL!!!

41. srieley says:

Love this idea. I have two sugesstions. One is expand in to swim wear for the same reason and seconf please make a white bra many girls have to wear light weight white unifotm shirts the colored bra just dosent work in tjis case.

42. S says:

What I don’t get is that she’s going for nothing ‘sexual’ but then puts a ”keyhole” in the front of one of the bras. Why is that hole there just for looks if it’s suppose to be so modest?! I’m 22 and I don’t have holes in the front of my bras! I don’t get it. Also, for $40 it seems WAY over priced, and honestly when I was that age I didn’t have ANY problems finding similar bras to those that were right for my age, they make them EXACTLY the same for young girls in Walmart, Kohls, Target, etc. I don’t understand how she didn’t find any that looked like these because they DO make them. Seriously go search on Walmart.com or any of the other stores that sell girls bras and look at the bras and tell me they aren’t exactly the same except $30+ cheaper? Good idea in theory and good for her, I guess, but it just doesn’t seem like it was something that was actually needed.

43. Toni says:

I love everything about the entire concept. Love the back story. But, I did notice that not one of the three photos with the four girls is any of them wearing the bra. All white shirts with white typical bras. Girl in white tank top looks like it could be a push up. Where four heads are together, the strap showing is a regular bra. The bright colors wouldn’t work with any of the clothing in any if the photos.

44. Lori Smith says:

When I was 13 years old I was 4’8″ weighed about 98 pounds and I’ll bet twenty of it was my boobs. I went from a “training bra” (what were they being ‘trained’ to do, anyway??) to a D cup in 8th grade. I was mortified by the things I would hear when I walked past groups of boys, “They gotta be falsies, they’re bigger than my MOM’S” and “Looks like she got hit in the back with two B-52 missiles!” My boobs got lots of dates in high school. Me? Not so many. The whole point was for some guy to get his hands on them so he could report back on them to his buds. Sometimes I let them, thinking it would make them like me and ask me out again. It didn’t. Sometimes I held out thinking they’d respect me and ask me out again. They didn’t. But the MOST humiliating part of being a 13 year old with a 28 D bra was the trip to the bra shop. Back then you couldn’t just buy a bra for that kind of figure just anywhere, you had to go to a lingerie shop where a gaggle of little oldwomen would descend on you, feel your boobs, measure your boobs, teach you how to bend over and wiggle them into the bra so it fit right and covered everything amply, plus had enough metal or top stictching in conconcentric circles to prevent the weight of your boobs from stretching those “delicate” tissues and leaving you with flopsome old bags at an early age. I cried every time we had to go bra shopping, I never owned a “pretty” bra until I said “the hell with my delicate tissues and started buying bad ones I could cram myself into in my twenties. Boobs are not something every young girl is excited about having enter a room before she does. And you can bet my mom never got out of the Alice Rae Shop for under $50.

45. Mike H says:

DERP. People complaining these are too expensive obviously have trouble reading. It clearly says you can buy TWO bras for $40. By my calculations, that makes them $20 a piece. Would love these bras for my daughters one day.

• Kristin L says:

Read again, or follow the link to the website. She is selling two styles of bras, but they are about $40 EACH ($38.95 and $42.95, specifically).

Love the concept, but yes, the pricing is steep for some of us. And no, I’m not looking for Walmart pricing/products.

46. Anney A says:

I support the idea behind it but honestly, I bought a *very* similar item in a department store just last week for half the price – even at the 2 for $40 price point. It was even purple, very similar to the items in this article.

I honestly hope this young lady makes it and I’d love to see a line of swim wear. That is where I can see putting some more serious cash into an item.

47. Katie says:

This is so wonderful that someone is stepping up for modesty and for not rushing our girls to grow up so early! And I applaud Megan for her determination and spirit! An 18 year old starting her own company in the USA! YAY!
    Yet, I wonder why they cost so much. . . I’m not in this kinda of business, so maybe I just don’t know all the expenses that go into producing one bra. When my girls are old enough, I would buy them if I can afford it, simply because it is something I am willing to pay more to encourage. But $40 seems a lot to pay for such a small item. But this is true of many other bras, too.

48. Mum with 15 year old says:

My daughter wears a size 34E bra. All teens are not created small! While cute bras look great on smaller sized teens, the girls with larger chests also need decent well fitting bras that aren’t sexy.

49. Cindi says:

I love this!!…please consider starting a swimsuit line for girls as well!…it’s so difficult to find age appropriate swimwear too!!..Good Luck!!

50. Laura says:

I applaud her determination and her motivation. As a mom of two girls, one a preteen, I think the ideas behind her company are spot-on. But I have to agree, I don’t even spend $40 on my own bras, let alone hers. And I won’t buy either of us a bra without padding. Not all padding makes you look bigger. The ones I buy her have just a thin layer of foam to keep the nipple thing hidden. I’m amazed that some of you don’t think this is a big deal. I was teased about it, even in college! Do you honestly think 13-year old boys are more merciful?